Rancho Cacachilas is developing a system of private trails for mountain biking, hiking, running and mule riding in the La Paz region of Mexico's Baja California Sur.
Our Mountain Hub in downtown El Sargento provides guided access to our well-groomed trails and gives visitors the chance to connect with nature, learn local history and see our ranch activities.
Please use the trail menu at left to see individual trail descriptions. We currently provide information for seven of the trails that we have developed. These trails are steeped in history and natural beauty and offer a variety of activity levels from which to choose. In describing these trails, we refer to various ranches and facilities included on the property. It may help to first familiarise yourself with our facilities. It may also be of interest to learn more about our natural history and mining history. While you're at it, why not explore the entire website to understand the unusual mosaic of activities that we are pursuing?
Points to keep in mind
- Rancho Cacachilas provides private ranch experiences that are led by knowledgeable guides — trails are available to the public by booking a guided excursion via our El Sargento Hub
- excusrions can be custom-tailored to match your individual needs — these can be organized around a particular theme such as bird watching or mining history — overnight camping trips, as well as day trips are available — contact the Hub in El Sargento to ask about current options
- please bring your own refillable water receptacles — we would like to avoid the use of plastic, throw-away bottles
- please take out what you bring in (including items like orange and banana peels) — help us keep these trails clean and beautiful
- ask about our trusty Mula Bar service for carrying water, snacks and other supplies
- trails can be traveled in either direction — to simplify, we present one direction in our descriptions, maps and charts
- the MTB (mountain bike) trails can also be hiked instead of ridden
On the individual trail pages, the following features are displayed:
- a brief description of the trail
- an interactive Google map that shows where the trail is located on our ranches — use the controls to zoom in and out — the symbol of the biker or hiker on the maps indicates the proposed start, and the flag represents the proposed finish
- an accompanying interactive elevation chart — hover over a spot on the trail map to display the corresponding elevation point on the chart below, or vice versa
- a detailed description of the trail
Trail Design, Construction & Maintenance
We take a holistic and responsible approach in the construction of all of our trails. We implement techniques to decrease environmental impact while maximizing soil retention and water drainage. Erosion control is a primary consideration in the development process. In many cases we work with historical trails that have been used for centuries in this region of the Baja California Peninsula.
In 2014, Progressive Trail Design created a trail development master plan to assist the design process throughout the ranches.
Under guidance from IMBA experts Shane Wilson and Mark McClure, our local staff built the 9.1-kilometer Santa Rosa mountain biking trail in about 18 months. Since then, our crew has completed intensive IMBA Trail Solutions training that allows us to design, build and maintain additional trails on our own. Using these professional skills, Rancho Cacachilas is working towards creating more than 50 kilometers of IMBA standard, single-track trail and becoming an official IMBA Ride Center™.
We continue to work with trusted leaders in the industry as we develop this extensive trail network in the Sierra Cacachilas mountains.